Magic Apple 831-688-1753
Bus (& Fran's) cell 831-239-3156
Jan's cell 831-239-5537
(please note: Our cells do not work at the Trout Gulch location)
The following is a summary of important first week reminders as your student(s)begins the fall session at Magic --please take the time to read carefully:
1) ABSENCES Always call if your student will not be in attendance for any reason--do not allow this important information to be given by another student or expect excuse (email is fine as well). As you might imagine neglect of this results in needless worry, time and energy in attempting to track down your student. For Rio students, absences also affects which bus we bring for pickup and you don't even want to know what it costs to fill up our buses (please try to tell us before we leave).
2) INFORM YOUR SCHOOL OF MAGIC APPLE ATTENDANCE: New and younger students especially please send a note to your student's teacher and the office reminding him/her that your student will be attending Magic Apple and listing the days of the week. Valencia students will need to get on the correct bus route to be dropped at Magic Apple and Rio students will gather at the cafeteria to walk as a group to the waiting Magic Apple bus (Clubhouse and Pinehurst). We also recommend that part time younger students have a place in their binder/backpack listing their Magic Apple days in case they forget or become confused.
3) RIO DEL MAR PICK UP BY MAGIC APPLE BUS: Parents of Rio students need to impress upon their child to get to the bus line in a timely manner--this is not the time to get a drink, chat with friends, etc. If a child will be delayed for an important reason tell them to tell another student so they can let Fran know to wait. Please also remind them that it is not easy to hold a full bus of students while we wait for 1-2 late students. We do not leave until the students who walk home have passed us so their is no reason for a student to be late. If a student walks to the corner late and alone and their is no Magic Apple bus they are to return to the office (we will review this with Rio students as well) and call their parents--we do not return for pick ups.
4) PICK UPS AT MAGIC APPLE: All parents may pick up their student at Magic Apple at anytime until 4:45. We ask that you do not arrive later than that as we are cleaning the classrooms and boarding the bus and it is a very hectic time. When entering Magic Apple pull SLOWLY through the paved driveway and park in the gravel parking lot--never block the driveway (be sure others picking up your student are aware of our rules as well)!
5) DAILY DEER PARK OPTION TO MEET PARENTS: We then drive to Deer Park and students wait on our bus between 5:15 and 5:30. Our bus is parked behind the Bank of America near the vineyards. PLEASE REMEMBER ALSO:
--Parents must park in a proper parking space at Deer Park (we pay reinsurance to use the Deer Park location and they are very strict about this)!
--Parents must walk over TO THE BUS and escort their child to the car.
--Parents must say goodbye letting teachers know you have your student.
--Please make sure that ANYONE picking up your student also knows these rules!
6) LATE PICK UPS AT DEER PARK: If you do not arrive by 5:30 we will bring your student back to Magic Apple as AN EMERGENCY SERVICE ONLY. Please have a back-up plan in place, very often we have plans immediately after school and late pick ups are stressful not just for us but for your child(ren) as well and may result in a $5 for every 10 minutes late fee--thanks for your help with this.
7) SCHOOL TUITION: Tuition is due on the first and late after the 10th. There is a $15 late fee and $15 returned check fee. If you need to pay later, please email your request or put a sticker on a post dated check. Please remember we are a very small school and very dependent on tuition to meet our obligations as well.
8) SNACKS AT MAGIC APPLE: Daily snacks should be sent with your student apart from their lunch. They arrive very hungry after school and even with our cooking lessons and apple orchards it is not enough. We do have a student run "snack shack" with bagels, ramen, fruit snacks and chips for purchase as well.
9) STUDY HALL AT MAGIC APPLE: As former public school teachers we feel parents have a vital responsibility to monitoring their students homework, however, as parents we were quickly made aware that it is difficult to get everything completed after dinner. We do offer a a study hall "jump start" period (4:00-4:45) daily for interested students. If you would prefer that your student be mandated to attend simply email or send a note with the days you want your student to be there and we will "track them down."
10) MAGIC APPLE SCHOOL CALENDAR: We will email you a calendar by next week for 2010/2011. During winter break in January and spring break parents may choose to enroll their student in our special full day camps (use of any hours between 7:30 and 5:30 p.m.). We will send information and registration a few weeks before any full day options. These camps are held at our sister school location, Apple Afterschool 221 Thunderbird Drive, 685-0629.
11) BIRTHDAYS: We have a 100+ year old bell that loudly proclaims each students birthday. All students line up and then the birthday child rings the bell once for each year and we sing with great enthusiasm and gusto. Afterwards the birthday child passes out a small treat (Halloween sized candy, lollipop, licorice, etc.--think small things that fit in a back pack) and everyone adores this optional tradition.
12) MAGIC APPLE IS A PRIVATE SCHOOL: not a daycare or recreation program. If you value our program (we have the same credentials as your child's teacher, Fran also has an MA, administrative and counseling credentials) so will your student. We work very hard to present exciting and enriching experiences to enhance your student's education and are thrilled to begin working with your student this fall!
Once again, welcome to another great year!
Janice and Francisco (Jan and Fran) Jimenez